Our Beginning

The Diocese of Milwaukee was established in 1843 and our parish was founded under the leadership of Bishop Martin Henni, the first Bishop of the diocese. During the years 1868-1869, the Milwaukee Iron Company erected a blast furnace puddle mill and rail mill in Bay View, which attracted many industrial workers. Many of these workers were Irish immigrants who settled on the south shore of Lake Michigan between Jones Island and St. Francis Seminary.

Responding to the needs of the Irish and other English speaking settlers, Bishop Henni designated a young Irish professor from St Francis Seminary, Fr. Thomas Fagan, to establish a parish on three lots on Russell Ave. The Milwaukee Iron company was persuaded to donate these lots for the site of a new Catholic church in bay View which was dedicated by the Very Rev. Martin Kundig in honor of the Immaculate Conception on November 29, 1871. Even though IC was predominantly an Irish parish, years later large number of Italians settled in and made up a good portion of our parishioners.

Because of the priest shortage in the early 1870s, Fr. Fagan was appointed only as a temporary minister. He traveled from St. Francis Seminary to attend to the spiritual needs of the new church. In March of 1872, the Rev. P.F. Pettit became the first resident pastor and remained until August 1875 during which time the rectory was built. Fr. Pettit was succeeded by Rev. J.W. Vahey and then Fr. James Hegerty. In 1880, Fr. Fagan returned and remained as pastor at IC for 43 years until his death in October of 1923. In 1885 work began on establishing a school, and in the summer of 1886 the building was completed. It opened with 90 students and has as many as 1000 students during peak enrollment in the 1950s.

When Father Thomas Pierce was assigned as the parish’s first assistant, the need for a new church and rectory became apparent. The cornerstone for the new (present) church was laid on September 22, 1907 and it was dedicated by His Excellency Archbishop Sebastian Messmer on August 30, 1908. The rectory was completed at the same time.

The parish continued to grow under the leadership of Father Pierce and then Father David Ryan. In the 1950’s a new school building was built and the church was expanded. In order to accomplish the expansion of the church, the interior was turned around, placing the main entrance on South Kinnickinnic Ave.

In 1959 the church renovation was completed and dedicated. Father Ryan helped facilitate the change from Latin to English for the Liturgy and also changed the position of the altar in the late 1960’s so the priest could face the people of the parish.

In 1971 Father Ryan retired and Father Robert Schmidbauer succeeded him as pastor. During his time as pastor, the organ was refurbished and moved to the balcony of the church from the old choir loft that overlooked the altar. Beginning in 1984, Father Norman Oswald became pastor and during his time launched “Operation Restoration” which was a project to restore, renovate, and repair the church and school. It was completed in 1990 and a Mass of Rededication was held on June 17, 1990, with Archbishop Rembert Weakland presiding.

In December 1990, Father Dennis Witz was appointed pastor and served until 2004. Under his leadership, funds were raised to restore the bell tower and aggressively address the parish’s financial needs. Immaculate Conception grade school merged with St. Augustine and became St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Academy.

In June of 2004 , Father Ronald Kotecki was appointed pastor, and would eventually be named pastor of St. Augustine as well. In September of 2004, Immaculate Conception, in collaboration with our five neighboring parishes established St. Thomas Aquinas Academy, a new K-8 grade school for the Bay View and surrounding areas. Since then our school building has been rented by Atlas Preparatory Academy, Inc. The Church of the Immaculate Conception was designated a Bay View Landmark on May 20, 2006.

In January of 2008 the new front doors were installed. The etchings were designed by artist Mike Levin and manufactured by Milwaukee Plate Glass, replacing the original brass and leaded glass doors. The angel and Mary are on the center doors with the dove of the Holy Spirit above them. The side doors depict the presence of other angels there for the announcement.

In July of 2010, the interior of the church was repainted and new carpeting was installed. The tabernacle (the gold vessel that houses the Body of Christ in the Eucharist) was returned to its place behind the altar. The mosaic crucifix was then placed above the tabernacle as it was originally designed.

In June 14, 2016 Father Philip Schumaker became pastor and oversaw the coming together and sharing of parish staff, offices, and councils between Immaculate Conception and St. Augustine, and on August 4, 2020, Fr. Schumaker was appointed pastor of Sacred Heart of Jesus parish as well. During Fr. Philip’s time, Immaculate Conception was featured in an Urban Spelunking Article!

On November 1, 2023, the current administrator, Father Edward Sanchez began serving the three parishes. As of September 1, 2024, a new Mass schedule was put in place so Father Sanchez could be present to every parish every week. May the Holy Spirit continue to guide and form these parishes!